Training at Blanton-Peale
Earn a Certificate in Psychoanalysis
Blanton-Peale is training the next generation of mental health professionals for New York City. Its Psychoanalytic Training Program is a rigorous and unique program that leads to a certificate in psychoanalysis. Those who complete the program, if not already licensed, may sit for an exam to become a New York State licensed psychoanalyst.
What is distinctive about the Blanton-Peale approach?
- Deep integration of psychoanalysis with spirituality, broadly defined
- Solid grounding in both Freudian and Jungian theories and their contemporary manifestations
- Rich opportunity for clinical experience at a robust mental health clinic
- Active engagement in a vibrant, socially aware and uniquely multi-cultural community
Blanton-Peale’s Psychoanalytic Training Program integrates psychoanalysis with spirituality broadly defined, and includes not only traditional Judeo-Christian faith perspectives, but Middle Eastern and Eastern philosophies, and general humanistic and social justice viewpoints. Blanton-Peale’s approach to psychoanalytic training is multi-modal and represents the range of historical and contemporary psychoanalytic perspectives, from classical to ego psychology, through the object relation traditions, and into self-psychological, intersubjective, and relational modalities.
Blanton-Peale welcomes anyone with a master’s degree who is interested in psychoanalytic training. Applicants to the program come from a broad range of backgrounds, including the traditional mental health disciplines of psychology, social work, and medicine, as well as religion, education, the arts, humanities, and law.
Graduates of Blanton-Peale’s program hold positions in many professional settings around the world, including mental health agencies, educational and religious institutions, and business entities. Many maintain private practices.
The Program, modeled on traditional psychoanalytic training, consists of three components:
- Comprehensive course work, which can be completed in four years,
- Clinical Experience under supervision, and
- The candidate’s own experience of psychoanalysis.